By Barbara K. Gold
- Contributors symbolize more than a few verified names and more youthful students, all of whom are revered specialists of their fields
- Contains unique, by no means sooner than released essays, that are either available to a large viewers and supply a brand new method of the affection elegists and their work
- Includes 33 essays at the Roman elegists Catullus, Tibullus, Propertius, Sulpicia, and Ovid, in addition to their Greek and Roman predecessors and later writers who have been motivated via their work
- Recent years have obvious an explosion of curiosity in Roman elegy from students who've used a number of severe methods to open up new avenues of understanding
Read Online or Download A Companion to Roman Love Elegy (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) PDF
Best literary medieval criticism books
Dante Alighieri’s Divine Comedy has, regardless of its huge, immense acceptance and significance, usually stymied readers with its multitudinous characters, references, and subject matters. yet until eventually the ebook in 2007 of man Raffa’s consultant to the Inferno, scholars lacked an appropriate source to assist them navigate Dante’s underworld.
Peter of Auvergne (+1304) is likely one of the most efficient and so much influential commentators of the school of Arts on the college of Paris, on the finish of the thirteenth century Peter truly moved to the higher theological college, the place he argued a few quodlibeta. This quantity of convention lawsuits represents the 1st exam of the paintings of Peter of Auvergne as a complete.
Long ago seven centuries Dante has develop into global well known, together with his works translated into a number of languages and skim through humans of every age and cultural backgrounds. This quantity brings jointly interdisciplinary essays through top, foreign students to supply a finished account of the ancient, cultural and highbrow context within which Dante lived and labored: from the commercial, social and political scene to the texture of everyday life; from schooling and faith to the management of justice; from medication to philosophy and technological know-how; from classical antiquity to pop culture; and from the dramatic transformation of city areas to the explosion of visible arts and song.
This publication bargains a brand new point of view at the otherworlds of medieval literature. those fantastical geographical regions are one of the so much memorable areas in medieval writing, by way of turns appealing and colossal, attractive and terrifying. Passing over a river or sea, or moving into a hole hill, heroes stumble upon unusual and magical nation-states.
- Claudian's In Eutropium: Or, How, When, and Why to Slander a Eunuch
- Ancient Letters: Classical and Late Antique Epistolography
- Scham und Schamlosigkeit (Trends in Medieval Philology) (German Edition)
- Scyld and Scef: Expanding the Analogues
- Isidorean Perceptions of Order: The Exeter Book Riddles and Medieval Latin Enigmata (WV MEDIEVEAL EUROPEAN STUDIES)
Additional resources for A Companion to Roman Love Elegy (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World)
A Companion to Roman Love Elegy (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) by Barbara K. Gold